lagrangenews.com

Faulty chimney believed to be cause of house fire

Andy Simmons Staff Writer

January 27, 2014

A fire broke out at a residence on Whitaker Road and left it severely damaged Friday.


According to Capt. Jene Hoge of the Troup County Fire Department, at around 5:46 p.m. Troup County firefighters responded to a call in the 300 block of Whitaker Road regarding a structure fire.


Firefighters arrived on the scene and were able to extinguish the flame, but the fire had taken its toll on the house. Damage is estimated to be around $50,000.


Hoge believes that the fire was caused by a faulty chimney.


“They(the residents) had just put some wood in the chimney for a fire and saw the walls catch fire,” Hoge said.


No one was reported injured in the fire. The home owner was identified as Shirley Traylor.