LaGRANGE — Fire caused by a malfunctioning electrical breaker box destroyed a home in the 200 block of Horace King Street on Sunday evening, but no one was injured, according to LaGrange police and fire departments.
A woman who told the Daily News she was the home’s resident also said no one was injured, but declined further comment.
Four fire engines from the LaGrange Fire Department responded to the home at 209 Horace King Street at about 8 p.m. as on-lookers crowded the street and thick, gray smoke rose in the air, visible from Lafayette Square.
“When we arrived, we found heavy fire throughout pretty much the entire home,” said Lt. Chris Taylor, a spokesman for LFD. “We had power lines that were arcing and that was a safety concern, we wanted to make sure we kept people away from that side of the residence.”
The heat from the flames made it impossible for firefighters to enter the home, Taylor said, and the home’s roof collapsed.
The massive blaze forced LaGrange police to shut down the street as 12 firefighters worked for more than 30 minutes to quell the fire; four hoses were used to doused the residence. Taylor added that the city utility department was called to shut off the power.
Natasha Marable, who lives across the street from the home, said she witnessed the blaze and heard the fire department arriving.
“My son just went frantic that the house was on fire because he heard the sirens,” she told the Daily News. “We went out the back door and it was blazed up real bad. The fire department was already here.”
A statement from LFD said two adults and three children lived in the home. The American Red Cross is working with the family to provide assistance, according to a statement from LFD.