LaGRANGE — A man who was found badly burned Friday night in front of a home in the 100 block of Wright Street may have accidentally set himself on fire, according to LaGrange police.
A person who initially brought the man to WellStar West Georgia Memorial hospital told police the victim may have accidentally set himself on fire with a cigarette, a police report stated.
The report also showed the victim’s blood alcohol content was .323 at the time of the incident.
The victim was airlifted to a burn unit in a hospital near Atlanta. As of Monday morning, the victim was listed in serious condition, stated LPD Sgt. William Nelson. The man was sedated so investigators have been unable to talk to him.
Officers at the hospital felt the severity of the burns warranted further investigation, a report stated.
Investigators said they are pursuing all leads, but believe there is no evidence the victim was intentionally set on fire and that it appears to be an accident.
Anyone with information is asked to call the LaGrange Police Department at 706-883-2603 or Troup County Crime Stoppers at 706-812-1000. Callers may remain anonymous.
Melanie Ruberti is a reporter with LaGrange Daily News. She can be reached at 706-884-7311, ext. 2156.