LaGRANGE — Several incumbents have qualified to seek re-election in local city council seats and two challengers have entered the Hogansville race.
Here are the names of those who have qualified as of 9 a.m. today:
• LeGree McCamey, 56, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to his District 2 post on LaGrange City Council.
• Bobby Traylor, 79, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to his District 1 post on LaGrange City Council.
• George Bailey, 45, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to his Post 4 seat on Hogansville City Council.
• William F. Higgins, 76, qualified to run for the Post 3 seat on Hogansville City Council.
• Thomas Pike, 84, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to his Post 5 seat on Hogansville City Council.
• Theresa Strickland, 46, qualified to run for the Post 5 seat on Hogansville City Council.
• Sandra Thornton, 58, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to her seat on West Point City Council.
• Benjamin F. Wilcox, 48, incumbent, qualified to seek re-election to his seat on West Point City Council.
Certain seats of council members in LaGrange, West Point and Hogansville are up for the election Nov. 3 and the office of the West Point mayor, currently held by Drew Ferguson, also faces an election.
In LaGrange, the seats currently held by council members Traylor of District 1, and Willie Edmondson and McCamey of District 2 face election. In Hogansville, seats held by council members Jean Crocker of Post 3, Bailey of Post 4 and Pike of Post 5 are up for election. Voters may cast ballots in West Point for the at-large council seats currently held by Thornton, Wilcox and Gerald Ledbetter in addition to the West Point mayor’s position.
Applicants who wish to qualify for LaGrange municipal elections should contact the Troup County Board of Elections and Registration at 706-883-1745 or visit the BOER office at the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave. Hogansville residents who wish to run for office should call or visit City Hall, 301 E. Main St., 706-637-8629. In West Point, prospective candidates should call or visit City Hall, 730 1st Ave., 706-645-2226.
The City Council candidate qualifying fee for LaGrange is $216. Hogansville’s council qualifying fee is $108. West Point’s qualifying fees for council is $90, and $153 for mayor.
Candidates who wish to run for office must complete the necessary paperwork, including disclosures regarding personal finances, fiduciary positions, ownership of real estate and businesses, investments and annual payments from the state government; the candidate’s spouse’s direct ownership of real estate must also be disclosed. A notice of candidate affidavit must also be signed and notarized.
Throughout the process, candidates also must disclose campaign contributions to a state ethics commission. Packets with the necessary paperwork and pertinent information for LaGrange candidates are available at the Troup County Government Center.
Check back with LaGrange Daily News online and in print this week for updates on which candidates have qualified for office.
Reach the LaGrange Daily News at 706-884-7311.