LAGRANGE — Students in Troup County public schools are in for a culinary treat this month.
Through the Chefs 2 Schools program, Chartwells K12 chefs will educate while entertaining with live cooking demonstrations in school cafes.
Leveraging the concept that chefs have a unique ability to deliver wellness messages to children in a fun and appealing way, Chefs 2 Schools brings together chefs and students through planned visits to designated schools for the purpose of creating healthy and delicious meals while helping to educate students about nutritious eating habits and food preparation.
During a Chefs 2 Schools visit, the chefs interact with students to excite and interest them about nutritious foods in a variety of ways, such as:
• Demonstrate preparing a healthy meal, allowing students to sample the prepared dish.
• Educate students on healthful ingredients, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and proteins.
• Identify local ingredients to ensure that students and their parents are sourcing the freshest tasting produce.
• Allow students to ask questions as the chef demonstrates a recipe for a fun and interactive learning experience.
“It’s very rewarding to visit with students in Troup County schools and share our passion for providing healthy and enjoyable meals each and every day,” said Marion Danby, chef manager of Chartwells K12 in Troup County schools. “We use our Chefs 2 Schools visits as an opportunity to make students enthusiastic about school food by interacting, educating and sharing samples of the foods we offer them each and every day.”
In addition to the Chefs 2 Schools program, Chartwells K12 provides food art activities, food sampling of upcoming menu items to familiarize students with new and ethnic foods, and offers monthly nutritional classroom activities and food-focused educational materials.
Upcoming Chefs 2 School visits are scheduled as follows in Troup County Schools through the spring:
• Feb. 11 — Bertha Weathersbee Elementary.
• Feb. 25 — Hillcrest Elementary.
• March 10 — Hollis Hand Elementary.
• March 22 — Hogansville Elementary.
To learn more about the Chefs 2 Schools program, contact Chartwells K12 District Manager Hayden Phipps at [email protected]
From a press release submitted by Troup County School System.