A man told LaGrange police he was attacked while visiting a friend at his home in the 100 block of Carver Street about 4:45 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators met with the victim as he was being treated for his injuries at Wellstar West Georgia Medical Center just before 8 p.m.
According to police, the victim suffered a large cut to his forehead and had a broken finger on each hand.
The man said he only knows his attacker by the name of “Fats.”
Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to contact the LaGrange Police Department at 706-883-2603 or Troup County Crime Stoppers at 706-812-1000.
A woman returned home from work about 8:45 p.m. Thursday to discover someone broke into her house in the 200 block of Peachtree Street and stole several TVs.
The woman told police the thieves took a 43-inch Sceptre flat-screen TV valued at $200 and two 32-inch Sceptre TVs valued at $150 each. She said she also noticed her gold watch and 100 of her DVDs, valued at $200, were missing as well.
The victim stated she believes the thief came through the back door and a back window, which were both open when she arrived home.
• An oak tree toppled over during a storm Thursday morning just after midnight, damaging a home, cars and taking live power lines down with it, according to a police report.
LaGrange police said the tree fell on top of a home at 213 Banks St. Neighbors told them the house was vacant.
Officers said limbs also landed on the house next door, but did not damage the residence.
More limbs hit a Chevrolet S10 truck, breaking the windshield and denting the bed of the vehicle, officers stated.
Police said parts of the tree also landed on another car, but it was not damaged.
Officers had to block off parts of Banks Street until city utility workers could arrive, shut off electricity to the area and clear the power lines off the road.
Police said no one was hurt in the incident.
• A woman who lives in the 200 block of S. Page Street called LaGrange police about 12:30 a.m. Thursday after the basketball goal at her home fell on top of a car during a severe thunderstorm. According to the police report, the goal smashed the windshield of the car.
Towne Fitness evacuated
Employees of Towne Fitness Club at 124 Main St. evacuated the gym Thursday just before 12:30 p.m. after smoke filled the downstairs portion of the building.
LaGrange firefighters responded with AMR paramedics. Fire Lt. Chris Taylor said firefighters used a thermal imaging camera and found a plug on one of the TVs was overheated.
Firefighters ventilated the area and Towne Fitness employees allowed club members back inside the building within 30 minutes. Taylor said the gym had electricians on the way to check out the breaker box to make sure there was no damage.
All information in this report is gathered from official law enforcement and public safety reports and releases. It is the policy of the Daily News to list the names of people charged with felonies.
Reach the LaGrange Daily News at 706-884-7311.