Police are investigating an incident in which a man allegedly struck a woman with a car Sunday at an apartment complex on North Cary Street.
Officers were called to the complex shortly before 10 p.m. and found a crowd of people tending to a woman who had injuries from head to toe, some of which were significant, according to police reports.
Witnesses said they heard the man and woman arguing in an apartment prior to the collision and the man was attempting to leave the apartment complex in a vehicle “at a high rate of speed” when he struck the woman, police said.
The man, who has not been charged, told police the woman was trying to stop him from leaving when she ran into the roadway. The man attempted to swerve to avoid the woman, but struck her with the front driver’s side portion of the vehicle.
Emergency medical responders took the woman to West Georgia Medical Center for treatment. Her condition was unavailable at press time today.
The incident remains under investigation.
Man charged after alleged fight
A 19-year-old LaGrange man was arrested Saturday after he allegedly attacked his girlfriend during an argument.
The man was charged with battery under the Family Violence Act after he allegedly put his hands around his girlfriend’s throat and tried to strangle her during an argument over keys to their residence.
The victim told police he “ran up behind her and grabbed her hands trying to take the keys from her,” according to a police report.
After speaking with the woman, police arrested the man and took him to the Troup County Jail where he remained this morning.
Traffic stop leads to pot arrest
Police arrested a 22-year-old LaGrange man Sunday on charges of marijuana possession after a traffic stop on Union Street near Calumet Park.
Officers stopped the car after reports that someone inside fired a gun, although reports indicate no charges were made due to that report.
When officers were speaking with the occupants of the vehicle, the 22-year-old man allegedly failed to keep his hands in the air, so officers took the man from the vehicle and handcuffed him. In the process, they found suspected marijuana on his shirt and mouth.
The man was placed under arrest and taken to the Troup County Jail.
• A resident of the Tall Pines apartment complex at 150 Turner St. told police someone broke into her residence and stole $2,000 in cash, a tablet computer and other electronics Saturday evening. A second resident at the same apartment complex reported someone broke into her home Saturday and stole a video game console and several games. The manager’s office was also recently burglarized and police believe the thieves may have keys to various apartments.
• A LaGrange man told police someone burglarized his home in the 1300 block of Elm Street on Sunday and stole a 32-inch television and a plastic jar containing $70.
• Someone entered a vehicle parked on Parker Street on Sunday and stole a wallet containing $225 in cash and a mobile phone valued at $400.
• A donation jar was discovered empty in a bathroom at a convenience store at 320 Commerce Ave. Sunday. Police are unsure how much money may have been taken.
• A bicycle was stolen Sunday from a residence in the first block of Robertson Street.
• Someone stole a Honda all-terrain vehicle Saturday from a home in the 200 block of Cherry Valley Drive. The theft happened when a boy was riding the ATV and two black male juveniles approached him, shoved him off and took it, according to police reports.
• Two Michael Kors brand wrist watches were stolen from a vehicle on Addie Street on Sunday. They are valued at $200 and $300.
• A 1994 Oldsmobile Delta 98 vehicle was stolen from Whitesville Street on Saturday. The vehicle is valued at $1,000.
All information in this report is gathered from official law enforcement and public safety reports and releases. It is the policy of the Daily News to list the names of people charged with felonies.
Reach LaGrange Daily News at 706-884-7311.