A LaGrange woman faces charges including drug possession after a shoplifting Sunday night.
According to a LaGrange police report, officers were called to Walmart on New Franklin Road at about 10:53 p.m. for a shoplifting.
When police arrived, they saw the woman later identified as Kristina Lynn Smith, 26, running across New Franklin Road towards Fryer’s Tire Center. Officers tried to make contact with Smith, who ran towards the back of the building, but ended up in a corner of the business with no outlet.
Smith, who officers soon found had two warrants for failure to appear in court, told officers she did not know why she was running. After handcuffing her for the warrants, officers noticed a plastic container on the top of her purse that contained a syringe and a metal spoon with crushed pink material on it, which Smith allegedly said was Oxycodone that she had purchased from a friend.
Witnesses later identified Smith as one of the shoplifting suspects, and she was charged with shoplifting, failure to appear, obstruction, possession or use of drug items and possession of a controlled substance.
• An employee of Kemp’s Carpet at 1287 Lafayette Parkway said that someone stole some checks, a digital camera and the magazine to a small-caliber handgun from the business.
• A man in the 600 block of Vernon Street said that someone broke the window of his front door, causing less than $500 damage.
The following people plead guilty in Troup County Superior Court on Monday:
• Antonio Perkins, 51, of LaGrange; 10 years’ imprisonment and 10 years’ probation for aggravated assault, cruelty to children in the first degree and two counts of sexual battery. Harris allegedly molested a 17-year-old female.
• Lucas Dustin Jones, 27, of LaGrange; two years’ imprisonment, eight years’ probation, anger management classes and pay for the victim’s medical bills for aggravated assault against a man he stabbed multiple times in the back.
• Willie Henry Hutchinson, 52, of LaGrange; two years in the Troup Correctional Institute and three years’ probation for robbery by force and battery for punching a woman and stealing her cell phone.
• Michael Tyrone Thornton, 38, of LaGrange; two years at the Troup Correctional Institute and three years’ probation for selling of marijuana and selling of marijuana within 1,000 feet of a housing project.
• Kenneth Lee Brown, 58, of LaGrange; three years’ imprisonment and two years’ probation for possession of methamphetamine and his fourth shoplifting offense, a felony.