Mother, 2-year-old daughter needing donations after weekend apartment fire
A 23-year-old mother and her two-year-old are left with nothing after a fire destroyed their apartment at Wood Glen Apartments. At approximately 3 a.m. Saturday morning, Jayvianna Hurston was awoken by flames in her living room.
“The first thing on my mind was grab my daughter and get my baby out of there,” Hurston said. “I was so shocked waking up to a fire.”
The LFD was dispatched at 4:18 a.m. and the first units witnessed heavy fire coming from the upstairs apartments. The LaGrange Police Department was on the scene and went door-to-door alerting and evacuating tenants from their apartments. Fire crews also performed a primary and secondary search of all eight apartments making sure all the tenants were evacuated from the building.
The fire was under control at 4:52 a.m., and the apartment complex was a total loss, according to the press release. Fire loss estimates are set at $70,000 to the structure and contents.
Hurston said the fire was only in her apartment. The Red Cross helped with finding a place to stay for the next few days, but she will be in need of somewhere to stay when the week is up.
Hurston is in need of all types of clothing for her daughter and her after losing all her belongings in the fire.
Hurston’s daughter is a size 2T, shoes 6C and Hurston’s pants size is 18, shirt 1X. A GoFundMe was also made to help Hurston to raise money to help her find a more permanent place to stay. Those looking to donate can visit gofund.me/87ff6b85. Anyone looking can donate clothes can message her on Facebook or call her at (706) 412-2614.
The Troup County Health Department announced Monday that it is taking COVID-19 vaccination appointments for Troup County. The appointments are... read more